The Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA) was established in December 1996 to unite the nursing profession. DENOSA has the presence in all nine provinces and represents nurses across the country and is currently the largest nurses’ trade union in the country with over 84 000 members. It has a dual focus on both trade union and professional development offering training to nurses.
FIELDS COVERED BY DENOSA NURSING BURSARY
The DENOSA will be awarding bursaries for the following courses:
- Bridging courses and short courses
- Community nursing science
- Community health nursing, psychiatric nursing and geriatric nursing
- Clinical Master’s degree programme
- Postgraduate studies (at a University or Technikon)
DENOSA BURSARY PROGRAMME – WHAT DOES IT COVER?
DENOSA bursaries provide support with your studies, however the bursaries are once-only donations and should be renewed through application every year. The bursary amounts are only small and will only cover a small portion of the expenses.
The successful candidates will then be required to submit academic progress reports annually until completion of the course/degree for which the bursary was granted. Progress reports must be presented on or before 14 February of every year otherwise, the refunding of bursary may be requested.
Applicants Must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying:
- Must be a South African citizen
- A fully paid-up member of DENOSA for at least the past 2 years.
- A fully paid-up member of DENOSA for the upcoming academic year (in which the bursary will be awarded.
- Remain a fully paid-up member of DENOSA for the entire duration of the bursary award
- Registered midwife/ nurse
- Completed approved post-basic work
- Registered and accepted to study at a recognised University/ College in South Africa
- Post-basic undergraduate courses : Passed a minimum of half of the courses
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing
- Post-basic diploma courses: completed at least half of the courses (with a duration of more than 1 year)
- Short courses: listed with the South African Nursing Council OR can elaborate how this course will improve their nursing career (if not listed with the SANC)
- Bridging courses: completed the first year of study successfully.
HOW TO APPLY FOR NURSING BURSARY AT DENOSA
1. Collect Applications forms from any DENOSA provincial office:
- Head Office: 605 Stanza Bopape Street, Pretoria, 0001
- Free State office: 25A Milner Road, Wavelley, Bloemfontein 9301
- Gauteng office: 6 Berkswell Street, Gresswold, Johannesburg, 2090
- Eastern Cape office: 5 Geard Street, North End, Port Elizabeth 6001
- KwaZulu Natal office: 1320 Durdoc Centre, 460 Smith Street, Durban, 4001
- North West office: 0137 Provident Street, A.N. Lekgetha Building, Mmabatho, 2735
- Limpopo office: 96 Biccard Street, Polokwane, 0700
- Mpumalanga office: 23a Steak Street, Nelspruit, 1200
- Northern Cape office: Permanent Bldg. Cnr. Jones & Du Toitspan ST 2nd floor, Room 204 Kimberly 8301
- Western Cape office: 2 First Avenue, Bellville, 7530
2. Fill the form & add all the required documents listed below and submit them.
This is a list of all the documents you must submit together with your completed application form. Note that failure to submit all required documents will cause your application to be ignored.
- ID document (certified copy)
- Proof of tertiary registration
- Full academic record (from tertiary institution)
- Post-basic undergraduate courses: proof of completed courses (on tertiary letterhead)
- Motivational letter explaining how you plan to assist DENOSA once you have completed your studies (1 page)
- Proof of paid-up DENOSA membership
THE CLOSING DATE
January 31, 2020
This is the Closing Date for 2020 applications.
Note: Applicants will be advised of the outcome of their applications by April at the earliest.
CONTACT DENOSA BURSARY
For any bursary queries, please contact Denosa Nursing Bursary directly:
DENOSA Study Fund Committee
Post: P O Box 1280, Pretoria, 0001
Denosa Head Office
Box: P O Box 1280, Pretoria, 0001
Phone: 012 – 343 2315/6/7
Fax: 012 – 3440750
Office Hours: 7h30 to 16h30 (Mon – Fri)
Denosa Membership Department
Tel: (012) 343 2315