Mother’s Day is a very special celebration honoring the mother of the family, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in our society. It is celebrated on various days in many parts of the world, yet most commonly in March, April, or May. It complements Father’s Day, the celebration honoring fathers.
When is Mother’s Day?
In South Africa, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May. That means this year’s celebration is on:
Year Date Day Week of Month Celebration 2019 12 May Sunday 2nd Mother’s Day
This date also applies to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, China and several other countries. However, it is also celebrated on other days, for example UK and Ireland, celebrate Mother’s Day on the fourth Sunday in Lent. Most East European countries celebrate Mother’s Day on March 8th etc. You can check Wikipedia for the full list of all the countries and their respective Mother’s Day Celebrations.
The History of Mother’s Day
Mother’s Day can be traced back as far as the ancient Greek and Romans.
The Ancients Greeks performed an annual spring festival dedicated to honoring the maternal goddesses. The Ancient Romans also celebrated a spring festival. This festival was dedicated to a Roman mother goddess. The celebration which lasted for three days, and included parades, games and masquerades.
Early Christians also celebrated a Mother’s Day of sorts during the festival on the fourth Sunday of Lent in honor of the Virgin Mary, the Mother of Christ.
The idea of an official celebration of Mother’s Day was first suggested by Julia Ward Howe in 1872. Julia, who was an activist, writer and poet suggested that 2 June be annually celebrated as Mother’s Day and that the day should be dedicated to peace. Her passionate appeal to woman, the famous Mother’s Day Proclamation, urged woman to rise against the war. She also initiated a Mothers’ Peace Day observance on the second Sunday in June in Boston, and the meeting was held for many years. Julia’s idea spread widely, but was later replaced by the Mother’s Day holiday now celebrated in May.
However, the modern holiday of Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother at St Andrew’s Methodist Church in Grafton, West Virginia. St Andrew’s Methodist Church now holds the International Mother’s Day Shrine. Her campaign to make Mother’s Day a recognized holiday in the United States began in 1905, the year her mother, Ann Reeves Jarvis, died. Anna Jarvis wanted to honor her mother by continuing the work she started and to set aside a day to honor all mothers because she believed a mother is “the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world”.
And by 1911, all U.S. states observed the holiday thanks to the efforts of Anna Jarvis with some of them even officially recognizing Mother’s Day as a local holiday. (the first being West Virginia, Jarvis’ home state, in 1910). In 1914, Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation designating Mother’s Day, held on the second Sunday in May, as a National holiday to honor mothers.
How is Mother’s Day Celebrated Today?
In South Africa, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May. It is not recognized as a public holiday by the government.
People take the day as an opportunity to pay homage to their mothers and thank them for all their love, caring, and support. South African’s use Mother’s Day to not only thank their mothers, but also grandmothers and other mother figures in their lives.
In many countries, Mother’s Day sees the phone lines reach maximum traffic, and the tradition of gifting flowers, cards and other gifts still remains.
Mother’s day is a very special day for the people of South Africa. They appreciate their Mother for all the good she has done for them over the years. The most commonly used flowers on Mother’s Day is the carnation .This is given as a gift to their mothers and afterwards worn as an act of promoting the festival’s spirit. They honor their mothers by wearing a red or pink carnation if the mother is alive and white if she is dead. The festival is taken as a great opportunity to thank and shower love on the mothers.
On this day, mothers are pampered a lot. Most children take over the roles of their mother and let them relax for the entire day. They make favorite meals for a luxurious breakfast. They fulfill all the wishes of their mother and treat her with all sorts of gifts and outings that can give her a sigh of relief from the endless household chores. Lots of restaurants all over South Africa will have special deals on but you need to hurry to make sure you secure a spot.
Most families however simply sit on a comfortable and cozy couch, watch videos or mother’s favorite movies and leisurely enjoy the day. Young children gift homemade cards to their mothers which are simply priceless and unmatchable for them.
Mother’s Day is a Lovely Celebration of motherhood- a woman who has given her All for the Sake of her Family; her Husband, her Children and even grandchildren. Many times underappreciated but always made sure she delivered when she was needed. That’s why her children are very excited to shout “Happy Mother’s Day!!! We Love you Mummy!”
Happy Mother’s Day Messages
For Your Mother
- “You’re my one and only mom, and I’ll always have a special place in my heart for you.”
- “Right from the start, you were the one who nurtured me, prayed over me, worried about me, guided me and supported me in every pursuit. Thank you for being there every day with just the love I needed.”
- “Raising me took a lot of patience. Thanks for hanging in there with me.”
- “With love from the luckiest [son] in the world.”
- “Sorry if I drove you crazy sometimes. I only did it because I love you!”
- “Happy Mother’s Day, Mama. Every day, I thank heaven you’re mine.”
- “Thanks for putting up with us! We love you like crazy.”
- “For all you do and all you are, we love you…”
For Your Grandmother
- “You’ll always have your own special place in my heart, Nana.”
- “Love is a family tradition for us…I’ve always known that, as long as I’ve been on this planet. You’re a big part of those loving memories and the reason I feel so lucky to be born into this family.”
- “God knew what he was doing when he made you a grandma—He knew you’d be the best one ever.”
- “You’ve taught me so much without saying a word.”
- “Grandma, your love has shaped me in lasting ways.”
- “So blessed by you, Grandma. You went above and beyond to help raise me, and it’s given us a special connection that I cherish.”
- “You’re the best listener, the best cook, the best friend, the best grandma I could ever ask for.”
- “On Mother’s Day, we hope you feel honored for all your years of caring for your children and grandchildren. And every day, we hope you feel how loved you are.”
- “You don’t just give love, you are love. And we love you so much, too.”
For Someone Who is Like a Mother to You
- “You’ve been like a mom to me—someone I can tell anything and ask anything. Thank you for being such an important person in my life.”
- “Aunty, there’s simply no one else like you. I feel so blessed that we’re family…and that we’re friends.”
- “With love to an amazing lady…from someone who hopes to be one someday.”
- “Just wanted to recognize you on Mother’s Day for being such a caring and positive influence in my life. I’m forever grateful, and I look up to you more than you know.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day to an amazing woman I’ll always admire, appreciate and love!”
- “We hope it doesn’t come as a surprise that we’re thinking of you today. After all, you’ve loved us just like a mom.”
For Your Wife or Partner
- “You’re more beautiful than ever to me. Happy Mother’s Day!”
- “From the moment we met, you’ve had my heart. And seeing you as a mom only makes me love you more.”
- “Creativity, laughter, devotion…there’s so much to admire in the way you do motherhood day in and day out.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day with all my thanks and love,”
- “Thank you for all the ways you go above and beyond every day for our family. The kids and I are so lucky to have you.”
- “I’m so grateful to be sharing life, love and parenthood with someone as creative and fun as you.”
- “Because of you, our family and our sweet home are built around generous, selfless love. Thank you for making us all so blessed—especially me.”
For a Mother-to-Be or a New Mother
- “Happy Mother-to-Be Day, Chelsea! You’re going to make such a good mom!”
- “Happy Mother’s Day to our favorite mom-to-be with lots of love and anticipation!”
- “You’re joining the mom club! Hope this Mother’s Day will be the first of many special ones for you.”
- “You are off to such a sweet start as a mom. Happy 1st Mother’s Day!”
- “I remember the lunch when you first told me you were going to be a mom. I was so happy for you then, and I still am, because I see how much you love it and how amazing you are at it.”
- “Can just imagine how meaningful today is with a new little one in your life. Enjoy!”
- “You’ve got crayon-drawn Mother’s Day cards in your future, along with big hugs from your lucky little one!”
- “That sweet baby isn’t the only one who should be pampered—today’s all for you!”
Happy Mother’s Day Poems
A Mother’s Love
Of all the special joys in life,
The big ones and the small,
A mother’s love and tenderness
Is the greatest of them all.
There is no blessing
Quite so dear…
As a mom like you
To love year after year.
My Mother, my friend so dear
Throughout my life you’re always near.
A tender smile to guide my way
You’re the sunshine to light my day.
A Wish for You
Just one little wish for you, Mom,
But it’s loving and happy and true-
It’s a wish that the nicest and best things
Will always keep coming to you!
The heart of a home is a mother
Whose love is warm and true,
And home has always been “sweet home”
With a wonderful mother like you!
God Created Mothers
When God created mothers,
All as lovely as can be,
He made one extra special,
And saved her just for me!
Here’s wishing you a Mothers Day
That’s filled with every pleasure,
And a future that’s as happy
As the memories you treasure!
Put Up With Me
I’m glad that you’re my mother,
Kind and caring and strong.
Coz surely no-one else,
Could have put up with me this long!
Thank The Lord
Every day I thank The Lord
Oh yes I really do,
For giving me a mother,
As sweet and kind as you!
God gives us everything,
His wisdom, strength, and love,
He also gave me you mom,
And I thank the stars above!
For More Poems: Mothers Day Poems here.
Mother’s Day Quotes for Cards
“Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible”
~ Marion C. Garretty
“A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie”
~ Tenneva Jordan
“God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers”
~ Jewish proverb
“Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.”
“Mothers are like glue. Even when you can’t see them, they’re still holding the family together”
~ Susan Gale
“Your arms were always open when I needed a hug.
Your heart understood when I needed a friend.
Your gentle eyes were stern when I needed a lesson.
Your strength and love has guided me and gave me wings to fly.”
~ Sarah Malin
For More Quotes: Mothers Day Quotes