Are you interested in joining Unisa to pursue your higher education studies? UNISA offers a range of courses from certificate programs to short courses and PhD programmes. And fortunately for you, this article shows you everything you need to know about the Unisa Application process; the Requirements, Fees, qualifications, Closing Dates etc. But you need to hurry and apply before the deadline.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Everyone wanting to start a new qualification must apply for admission. This includes:
- First-time Unisa applicants
- Unisa students changing to a new qualification and/or specialisation..
- If you are completing a higher certificate or alternative pathway/extended programme, you must apply for admission if you want to continue with further undergraduate studies.
- You must re-apply for admission if you previously applied for admission and were offered a space, but did not accept the offer and/or did not register for any reason.
- Everyone planning to enrol for classes at a Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college under the Unisa-TVET agreement must apply for admission.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE
- You need to have a valid e-mail address so that Unisa can communicate
with you during the application process.
- You will be expected to pay an application fee (shown below) which is non-refundable only after receiving a reference number.
- Prospective students can only apply for a maximum
of two qualifications.
- No application payments or documents will be accepted
during the registration period.
- Unisa will inform you of the outcome of your application. If successful, you will have to accept or decline Unisa’s offer (1 offer only) within the prescribed period of time or it will be given to another student.
- If you accept Unisa’s offer, you must register for the period for which you have been granted admission (ie semester 1).
- Before submitting an application, please check whether you meet the statutory and college-specific admission requirements, and the required academics points score (APS) for your chosen qualification(s). A higher certificate requires a minimum APS of 15, a diploma a minimum APS of 18 and a bachelor degree a minimum APS of 21 or more (some exceptions apply).
UNISA GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Your admission to Unisa is dependent on you meeting the specific admission requirements (shown below) for your chosen qualification.
- If you don’t meet these requirements, you may want to consider alternative qualifications or possibly, if you qualify, an extended programme, enabling you to register for limited modules in your first year.
- Students who completed Grade 12 at the ACE (Accelerated Christian Education) School of Tomorrow may no longer be accepted at Unisa.
- Some Unisa qualifications have limited spaces available. Meeting the general and specific admission requirements for a qualification does not guarantee that you will be offered a space for the 2020 academic year.
For more info on General Admission: Click Here
UNISA SPECIFIC ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
This depends on the course you want; each one has its own requirements. Some are higher than others– but there are a few common requirements in all courses. For example:
- Matric Certificates are required,
- Have a qualification in the language they were taught (their mother tongue)
- Have a qualification in Mathematics.
You can find more details about the each Course’s Specific Requirement for Undergraduates Applicants by Clicking Here.
COURSES/QUALIFICATIONS OFFERED BY UNISA
There are many options for you to further your studies through Unisa ranging from higher certificates to diplomas. Here are the main fields of study offered by the university.
- Agriculture & Environmental Sciences.
- Accounting Sciences.
- Economic & Management Sciences.
- Human Sciences.
- Science, Engineering & Technology.
To see the full list of available courses at UNISA for undergraduates: Click Here
UNISA APPLICATION 2020 (Process)
There are four categories that you can apply for at UNISA. These are:
- Undergraduate qualifications
- Honours degrees and postgraduate diplomas
- Master’s and doctoral degrees
- Short learning programmes
For all these four categories, the UNISA application process is rather straightforward. You will have to follow these steps through the UNISA application tool.
- Click Here to go the Official Unisa Apply for Admissions page, and select the category you want out of the 4 provided.
- Click “Start the Process” and continue reading till you get to “Proceed to ODL and Unisa”. Click it.
- Confirm that you are okay with Open Distance Learning (ODL) so that you can be sure that this institution is the right fit. In addition, you will need to have a valid email address and cellphone number for communication purposes.
- Secondly, you need to answer a question about whether you will need career counselling or not. If you need career counselling, the university will give you such services.
- Choose the qualification you prefer in their different faculties like Accounting Sciences, Education, Law, and many more. Presumably, you already know what you want to learn at this stage and that you are already qualified for your choice.
- After going through these steps, go ahead and scan all the required documents (shown below)
- You will receive a student and a UNISA application fee reference number after completing the above steps. After receiving the numbers, you have to pay a non-refundable fee (shown below). The deadline for making this payment is the application deadline day. To be on the safe side, keep a copy of proof that you have made the payment. If you are applying for a Short Learning Programme, you won’t have to pay an application fee.
- Make sure that your application is complete and satisfactory before submitting. Note that you will need the UNISA student number to access the online application form.
- Wait for a reply from the institution about the status of your application. If you have been accepted, you can now register for your modules using the student number and begin your academic journey.
- Visit the nearest UNISA office/Centre and fill the form there.
Click here to see a list of Unisa offices/Centres.
Alternatively, you can call UNISA or get in touch with them through other means and request for an application form for you to fill. One thing to keep in mind is that hard copy applications for the undergraduate program will require an application fee of R170.
It is recommended to follow the online process though.
Scan and Submit clear copies of all the following documents (ignore the ones that don’t apply e.g. Marriage certificate if single):
- Copy of your ID document (RSA students) or ID/ Passport (international students)
- Copy of your School Qualifications (e.g. Senior Certificate)
- Copy of your official tertiary academic record (if applicable) (internet copies will not be accepted)
- Copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or divorce decree (if applicable)
- Sworn translations of documents (if they are not in English or Afrikaans)
- All files MUST be uploaded one by one ( do not zip them all together into one big file)
- Files must not be larger than 2MB (2048KB) each.
- Only black and white documents may be submitted.
- Only the following file types are allowed: PDF (Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format file), DOC or DOCX (Word document file) or TIF (image file)
HOW TO PAY & HOW MUCH (Unisa Application Cost)?
UNISA requires applicants to pay an application fee for both online and hard copy submissions. It is important to note that the UNISA application fee is not refundable whether you fail, pass or choose not to study with Unisa, once you’ve paid it forget it.
But you need to receive your Student Number first before you pay the application fee. Use the student number you receive from Unisa AND the application fee reference number (ie STUDENTNUMBER 5370810030).
The fees are as follows:
- R110 (for Online applications)
- R170 (for Hard copy applications) – (strictly for Non-Degree purposes)
Note that Unisa does not accept cash at any of its offices. You may, however, deposit cash into the university’s Standard Bank account or other acceptable payment methods:
Payment information for students living in South Africa
- Pay online using your Credit Card: https://registration.unisa.ac.za/info/payment/index.html
- Pay via EFT or bank deposit: http://www.unisa.ac.za/paymentinfo
- Remember to always include your student number and the appropriate allocation as your payment reference when making payments to Unisa.
- Payments will be allocated within two working days.
Payment information for international students
The preferred method of payment is credit card via the Unisa website. Unisa web payment link: http://www.unisa.ac.za/feepayment (this is a secure site). Alternatively, you can make payment by means of a SWIFT/EFT transfer (to see bank account details click the Link below and scroll to the international students section ).
For Banking Details and Payment information: CLICK HERE
Any application sent to UNISA without making the required application fee payment will not be reviewed and therefore considered invalid. Always make sure to keep a record of your transaction for later use.
HOW LONG TO PROCESS APPLICATION?
From the time the application period closes, it takes about 6-8 weeks to complete the review of all the applications received by Unisa. Unisa will let you know whether your application failed or succeeded after this period.
UNISA APPLICATION CHECKLIST
This is just a list of things to check to make sure you have done everything that needs to be done, as far your Unisa application is concerned:
- I have chosen my Unisa qualification.
- I have checked that I meet the specific admission requirements for my qualification
- I have applied Online, at a Regional Office or via Post.
- I have uploaded/submitted certified copies of all Required Documents (shown above)
- I have submitted my application with the required documentation before
the closing date for applications.
- I will pay/have paid the application fee within 5 days of being informed of my reference
number/ before the closing date for applications.
CHECKING YOUR APPLICATION STATUS
You can easily track the status of your application by:
- Visiting the Unisa website by clicking this Link
- Then clicking on “Status”. “Track your application status” at the bottom.
It will ask you to provide: Your Student Number, Surname, First Name(s), and the Date of Birth for you to track the your application.
All UNISA applications must be submitted before the Closing dates (shown below) beyond which they will not be accepted. To make sure your application is accepted, pay the required fees and wait for the administrators to process your request. You can always check your application status any time you want after a successful application.
THE CLOSING DATES
(Higher Certificates, Advanced Certificates, Diplomas, Advanced Diplomas & Degrees):
September 27, 2019 (Opened on August 20, 2019 )
Honours Degrees & Postgraduate Diplomas:
September 27, 2019 (Opened on August 20, 2019 )
Master’s & Doctoral Qualifications:
November 8, 2019 (Opened on September 10, 2019 )
HOW TO CONTACT UNISA FOR APPLICATIONS
|General applications and registration email@example.com||012 441 5888|
|Applicationsfirstname.lastname@example.org||012 429 4016|
|Master’s and doctoral email@example.com||012 441 5702|
Note: Numbers starting with “012..” are Telephone numbers.
Honours Degrees & Postgraduate Diplomas
Applicants may contact the section using the relevant college e-mail address:
• College of Accounting Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org
• College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences: email@example.com
• College of Education: firstname.lastname@example.org
• College of Economic and Management Sciences: email@example.com
• College of Human Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org
• College of Law: email@example.com
• College of Science, Engineering and Technology: firstname.lastname@example.org
Master’s & doctoral degrees
Please contact the Master’s and Doctoral Administration Section for assistance:
Tel: 011 471 3296;
Unisa’s Short Learning Programmes
You may also direct enquiries to email@example.com.